Sunday, July 17, 2011

My Wedding: A Day in Progress

So... my fiance and I have set the date. On August 11, 2012 we will be leaving behind our lives as individuals and join ourselves together into the holy union of marriage. I am very excited to say the least. We've been putting it off for 4 years, because of school and we've finally had enough. While most brides can't wait to get the traditional wedding things out of the way, bridesmaids, maid of honor, limos, etc. I am not going to do that. I'm having a simple wedding without the hassle and annoyance of having other people involved. We aren't having bridesmaids, or groomsmen, or a flower girl, or a ring bearer, or a maid of honor, or a best man. We're not having alcohol at the reception, nor are we having music/dancing. We want it to be a simple day surrounded by the people we love and care about. We each get 25 invites, though I'm not sure I'll use all of mine.

I have already found the venue, caterer, coordinator in one person/place which makes things simple. I have already found and bought my dress, veil, shoes and bouquet. I have the invitations printed and the save the dates are on their way. So within a month of deciding a date I have everything planned. Why does it take other women so long and cause so much stress? It's just a day.

 I've already come into contact with those who think it's awful of me not to want a bridal party or some special person to take care of everything, but I don't need it. I don't want a bachelorette party, because I don't want to celebrate "the last single night of my life." If you need to celebrate being single, don't get married. No one is forcing you into it.

I do plan on following tradition and being a virgin on my wedding day, which is something many brides who have "Traditional" weddings don't seem to see as traditional. I also plan on not letting my groom see me before the ceremony.

We aren't doing the unity candle. We have opted for sand, which I already have bought alongside the pouring glasses and the glass that will set in our house for the rest of our lives.

It feels so nice to have a culminating event of our 7 year relationship be so close! I'm really excited. I know not every bride is like me or sees things the way I do, but I'm just sharing my story so if someone else out there wants a simple wedding centered around the couple they won't feel so alone. I know I have searched website after website trying to find such a woman and I have yet to find one. Maybe I'm the only one, but I want that day to be all about my fiance and me. I don't want anyone else to be the center of attention. I'm not in it for a dog and pny show. The wedding is there for people to be a part of our lives being joined by God. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment